Metalfab Fire Trucks

Metalfab Minutes
A Blog on Everything Fire Truck Related

Friday, November 29, 2013

The value of equipment checks

One of the equipment checks that I find great value in is the abbreviated pump test. I say abbreviated because it does not take long to perform but verifies many items.

I like to start by pulling the fire apparatus outside of the fire hall and installing the wheel chocks. Next, I make sure there is water in the pump by opening the Tank to Pump valve. Now the pump is ready to be activated (I am not a fan of running a dry pump for any length of time). Once the pump is activated, I verify that all the indicator lights for the pump are functioning. If the pump is not primed, I activate the primer and once pressure is achieved - I open the Tank Fill valve so that the water in the pump can circulate and remain cool. At this stage, a pump could run all day without overheating in the summer or freezing in the winter. Next, I set the governor or the mechanical relief valve (standard levels are 1000 RPM or 90 PSI). I then open and close the Tank Fill valve to exercise the governor and mechanical relief valve. If the governor is set in RPM - the pump pressure will fluctuate and if it is set in PSI - the RPM will fluctuate to maintain the requested PSI. With the mechanical relief valve - the orange light will open and close showing that the relief valve responds and is not seized. Once I am satisfied that everything is functioning well - I return to idle, disengage the pump and drain the pump completely if it is winter time.

Another item that can be verified during this period is all the emergency and scene lights. By doing a quick 360, the majority of the lights on the truck can be verified. The generator can also be started in order to power the 110-volt lights and get some running time.

The entire test may take as little as five (5) minutes but now you know that the chassis starts, the pump runs, the primer functions, the relief valve / governor are good and the lights are OK. This also is a good refresher for an operator who hasn't operated the truck in awhile and gets to do it in a non-pressure environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment